Square Eyes: Kids' TV of the 80s/90s

I have an unhealthy obsession with all things nostalgic (though I draw a line at mullets and jackets rolled up at the sleeves.) This, combined with a fondness for the TV of my childhood has driven me to create the Square Eyes blog. Simply an A-Z of the shows I watched, with my inimitable commentaries...

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Fast Forward


FAST FORWARD
Made by: ?

Shown on: BBC1

Years shown: 1984-5

Entirely unconnected with the BBC pre-teen magazine of the same name, this Fast Forward was songs, jokes and sketches for the very young. It starred Miss Play School herself, Floella Benjamin, along with Kate Copstick (see Wiz), Nick Wilton, Joanna Munro, Andrew Secombe, and Robert Harley…oh, and a giant pet of some sort, which was never around, but whose presence was acknowledged by its giant, empty bowl. The songs were the most memorable aspect of the show, including one sung by badly-animated baby birds, which went “Mama, mama, fill-a my beak/ Cheep-a-cheep-a-cheep-a-cheep”. Another one worth mentioning was sung by Floella and one of the blokes dressed up like some sort of old scientist, where the exchange went: “Where’s your bag, dad?”/”My bag?”/”You left your bag, dad, in Baghdad.” Brilliant. But not an advisable thing to do during a Gulf War.

SQUARE EYES RATING: 2/10

(Thanks to www.tvradiobits.co.uk for the borrowed pics)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home