Square Eyes: Kids' TV of the 80s/90s

I have an unhealthy obsession with all things nostalgic (though I draw a line at mullets and jackets rolled up at the sleeves.) This, combined with a fondness for the TV of my childhood has driven me to create the Square Eyes blog. Simply an A-Z of the shows I watched, with my inimitable commentaries...

Friday, April 28, 2006

Denver the Last Dinosaur


DENVER THE LAST DINOSAUR
Made by: World Events/Calico Productions
Shown on: ITV

Years shown: 1988
Theme tune:
“One, two, three, four!/Denver, the last dinosaur/He’s my friend and a whole lot more/Denver, the last dinosaur/Shows me a world I never saw before.”

Before Steven Spielberg brought the extinct back to life on the big screen, a bunch of cartoon Californian kids discovered a dinosaur egg while out skateboarding. He hatched into Denver, a bright green dinosaur of undetermined type, who was so annoying that he had to be related to Barney. Mind you, the kids were worse. Wearing loud shirts and sporting dodgy hairstyles, they were obsessed by being ‘cool’, riding bikes and finding great places to skate; there was Jeremy, Wally, Shades, Mario, Casey, and her kid sister, Heather. Their adventures were lame and laid-back in the extreme; Denver had the most unlikely villain ever, in the concert promoter (!) Morton Fizzback, out to exploit Denver for a quick buck. But what worried me more was the suggestion in the title theme that Denver might have been more than just friends with the kids. A nasty thought, I know, but implied, you have to admit.

SQUARE EYES RATING: 3/10

(Thanks to www.tvacres.com for the borrowed pic)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home