Square Eyes: Kids' TV of the 80s/90s

I have an unhealthy obsession with all things nostalgic (though I draw a line at mullets and jackets rolled up at the sleeves.) This, combined with a fondness for the TV of my childhood has driven me to create the Square Eyes blog. Simply an A-Z of the shows I watched, with my inimitable commentaries...

Monday, May 08, 2006

Funnybones


FUNNYBONES
Made by:
Cartwn Cymru
Shown on: BBC 1

Years shown: 1992?

“In a dark, dark street, there was a dark, dark house. And in the dark, dark house, there was a dark, dark staircase…”

And in the basement of this house lived three skeletons, Big Skeleton, Little Skeleton, and the Dog Skeleton, creations of children’s literary genius, Allan Ahlberg. They sneak out of the house at night, in an attempt to find somebody to scare, but what they haven’t banked on is that everyone is in bed at night. Instead, they go for a walk and try to frighten each other, stopping off at the zoo to play with all the skeleton animals there, who also come out at night. Although this was just a one-off cartoon, it was a witty, charming and thoughtfully made island in a sea of teatime dross. I just find it hard to believe that this 12-part series was made in 1992 - was I really 12 when I was watching it?!

SQUARE EYES RATING: 5/10

(Thanks to www.toonhound.com for the borrowed pic)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home