Square Eyes: Kids' TV of the 80s/90s

I have an unhealthy obsession with all things nostalgic (though I draw a line at mullets and jackets rolled up at the sleeves.) This, combined with a fondness for the TV of my childhood has driven me to create the Square Eyes blog. Simply an A-Z of the shows I watched, with my inimitable commentaries...

Friday, June 09, 2006

Pole Position

POLE POSITION
Made by: ?

Shown on: BBC

Years shown: 1982-86

Apparently based on an Atari motor-racing game, Pole Position boasted one of the essential components of any eighties cartoon - a guitar-driven power-rock theme, which bawled, “Pole Positioonnnnn!” in an admirable imitation of Def Leppard, or at least Don Henley. The wafer-thin plot involved brother and sister, Dan and Tess, whose parents were killed by an evil cabal. They worked for Pole Position, an implausible FBI-like organisation run by their uncle, Dr Zachary Darret. Their job entailed driving cars called Wheels and Roadie, who had minds of their own, and made smart-arse remarks, suspiciously like KITT in Knight Rider. Somewhere in this bizarre world was Darret’s young daughter Daisy, who in turn had an annoying pet monkey called Kuma. It was a primarily a crime-fighting caper and I thought it was great, but following the point of it all was a skill in its own right - and worryingly, I remember thinking that Dan and Tess were boyfriend and girlfriend, so perhaps this point wasn’t made explicit enough.

SQUARE EYES RATING: 4/10

(Thanks to www.80sanimation.com for the borrowed pic)



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home