Square Eyes: Kids' TV of the 80s/90s

I have an unhealthy obsession with all things nostalgic (though I draw a line at mullets and jackets rolled up at the sleeves.) This, combined with a fondness for the TV of my childhood has driven me to create the Square Eyes blog. Simply an A-Z of the shows I watched, with my inimitable commentaries...

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Pie in the Sky

PIE IN THE SKY
Made by: BBC
Shown on: BBC1
Years shown: mid 80s

This was a bit of an oddity for pre-school children, and goodness only knows how it was dreamt up. Iain Lachlan (of Fingermouse fame) was the Pieman, who made pies for the children of his village - but before he handed them over, he called upon some kind of spaceman (Playschool’s Ben Thomas) to fill the pies with a song. Cue lots of slightly fatiguing sing-a-longs. The Pieman had a Piewife too (played by Chloe Ashcroft) which doesn’t sound like much of a career for any modern woman, being determined by your husband’s job title.

SQUARE EYES RATING: 3/10


4 Comments:

Blogger JP said...

as a 3 year old, i remember loving this. not seen it mentioned since and kind of felt that maybe i'd dreamt the whole programme. very happy to see a mention of it online that doesn't link to the pc tv drama series!

2:47 PM  
Blogger SpankyMonkey said...

I knew this show existed! I've described it to a veriety of friends around my age and none can remember it (and to be honest when I described it it did make me sound vaguely insane). Glad this wasn't imagined by me in some Vodka fuelled stupour.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

David Hargreaves was the pie man, with Chloe Ashcroft (his real life wife).

"Pie Ship to Pie Man, come in Pie Man"

"If my pies could talk, if my pies could speak, which of my pies would be pie of the week?

An Apple Pie!"

Quality stuff...

10:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Me too!

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home