Square Eyes: Kids' TV of the 80s/90s

I have an unhealthy obsession with all things nostalgic (though I draw a line at mullets and jackets rolled up at the sleeves.) This, combined with a fondness for the TV of my childhood has driven me to create the Square Eyes blog. Simply an A-Z of the shows I watched, with my inimitable commentaries...

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

The Get-Along Gang


THE GET-ALONG GANG
Made by: CBS

Shown on: ITV?

Years shown: 1984-6

Theme tune:
“The Get-Along Gang, Get-Along Gang/Each one is special in his own way/Montgomery’s the leader, and he’s such a good sport (?)/The Get-Along Gang, Get-Along Gang”

Apparently based on a series of children’s greetings cards, The Get-Along Gang was about a bunch of kids, actually cute animals in clothes, who were all wildly different in temperament, but, hey, still managed to get along and play nicely. Montgomery Moose was the group’s default leader, with a tendency to be clumsy; Woolma Lamb was vain and Dotty Dog was careless, and among the other tarnished heroes were Portia Porcupine, Bingo Beaver, Zipper Cat and Braker Turtle. They were watched over by Police Officer Growler, and got into very low-cal adventures which tended to involve a lot of team-work, necessitating each character making use of the skills that make them so ‘unique’. Someone pass the bucket. There were the mandatory easily-defeatable villains too, in this case Catchum Crocodile and Leland Lizard. I remember some heavy merchandising going on, and I have a feeling that I had a small plastic Montgomery Moose figure, with a blue and yellow painted-on sweater - I do hope so.

SQUARE EYES RATING: 2/10

(Thanks to wikipedia for the borrowed pic)

1 Comments:

Blogger elaine x said...

... yeah ... one of those things my baby sister would watch when she had the control of the remote ... much to the shagrin of her older brothers & sisters ... i think they had a book series too!
thanks for the journey down memory lane!
peace & harmony,
elaine
'freedom must be exercised to stay in shape!'

12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home