Square Eyes: Kids' TV of the 80s/90s

I have an unhealthy obsession with all things nostalgic (though I draw a line at mullets and jackets rolled up at the sleeves.) This, combined with a fondness for the TV of my childhood has driven me to create the Square Eyes blog. Simply an A-Z of the shows I watched, with my inimitable commentaries...

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

The Keith Harris and Orville Show


THE KEITH HARRIS AND ORVILLE SHOW
Made by: BBC

Shown on: BBC

Years shown: 1982-90

Dear God, I promise that I will never switch on the television set again, if you would only wipe all memory of this programme from my brain. Oh well, it’s worth a try. Unfortunately, nobody can easily forget this bright green duck in a nappy, who was manipulated by the baldy-permed ventriloquist, Keith Harris. There really was no point to Orville; he was supposed to be cute (“I wish I could fly, right up to the sky” etc), but most people would have preferred him with orange sauce. His nemesis, also being worked by the multi-tasking Harris, was the gangly monkey, Cuddles, who, judging by his voice, smoked at least forty a day. Like the rest of us, he always wanted to cause Orville considerable grievous bodily harm, but inevitably ended up caught up in his own traps. The Keith Harris and Orville Show featured all the usual music hall sketches and songs, but also, in later years, pop guests, who must have really thought they’d hit rock-bottom.

During the mid eighties, Orville was with the BBC, and Emu was over on ITV - so the question remains: who would have won a fight between Keith Harris and Rod Hull? Wouldn’t have minded watching that instead.

SQUARE EYES RATING: 1/10

(Thanks to Five TV's website for the borrowed pic)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home